I created this running post to track & organize “Project Gold Wing”. This post is meant to be a companion to the YouTube series, I have links to each video for convenience. In addition to organizing the videos, updates will include costs and facts and figures involved in this project.
In short, I am selling off a couple of bikes (after I get them running) and buying a GL1200, of unknown vintage or condition. For sure, it will “fixer-up” and hopefully I will learn a lot and I can share it all here, combined with the YouTube Channel.
I ramble on about the plan to sell off some extra motorcycles, take my winnings and buy a previously enjoyed Gold Wing. Of course, the long term goal is to tour on it too! YouTube video here.
Quick video of what I found, 1985 GL1200A Aspendcade. For sure, I am not following “The Plan”, but for 400 bucks delivered to my driveway! I couldn’t pass on this one. Buyer’s remorse? YouTube video here.
3.0 First Checks
Checking out what I got my self into, a bit surprising what I find. Have to take off a lot of badly installed electrical gizmos (video). Most of it is obsolete, or scrap anyway, see yah. I was expecting some drama on the first startup (video). And for the fun of it, I run a compression test. I still don’t get how the results where like this, cold versus a warm engine, weird.
4.0 Tire Change
Collected and tested various ways to break beads, remove old tires, and mount new ones. I learned a lot and changed my mind about a few things. Video links – Youtube, and BitChute. New front tire has a manufacturing defect, still waiting for an RMA, so can’t do the rear until I get the front fixed – unexpected twist.
5.0 What’s Going on Now?
- Not much, except I lost my drivers licence because of medical issues (not the kind in a bottle, LOL)
- So, probably not getting it back, and that likely ends my street riding days
- On the bright side – sold all the oldies, 1979 XS 650, 1982-ish Moto Guzzi NTX 350, 1985 Goldwing.
- Ordered an eBike from RadPower Bikes, RadRover 5.0, and heading back to my rural home
- If you are interested will be starting a eBike blog, will try to ride thru a Canadian Winter – wish me luck!